Geocaching in WokinghamParks & Walks
- All the family
- School age
What is Geocaching?
Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.
You can read more about Geocaching here.
Geocaching in Wokingham
There are over 700 geocaches hidden in and around Wokingham!
This is how you can start your geocaching adventure in your neighbourhood:
- Head to www.geocaching.com
- Register for a free Basic Membership.
- Visit the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page.
- Enter your postal code and click "search."
- Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.
- Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.
- Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.
- Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.
- Share your geocaching stories and photos online.
There are many other levels to the game. Keep reading the guide to learn more!
What’s usually in a geocache?
In its simplest form, a cache always contains a logbook or logsheet for you to log your find. Larger caches may contain a logbook and any number of items. These items turn the adventure into a true treasure hunt. You never know what the cache owner or visitors to the cache may have left for you to enjoy. Remember, if you take something, leave something of equal or greater value in return. It is recommended that items in a cache be individually packaged in a clear, zipped plastic bag to protect them from the elements.
Please tag us on social media so we can see how you get on!