Lunar New Year
Sorry, there are no future dates available
Celebration of Lunar New Year
Sunday 18th February 2024 11am to 3pm
Wokingham Market Place
Sunday February 18th will see Lunar New Year celebrated in Market Place. We’ll be drawing performers, artists, and helpers locally and from across the south of England to help us celebrate in style.
The lion dance, one of the most important traditions at Chinese New Year, will be performed in the heart of the town alongside music, arts and crafts. In Chinese culture, the lion symbolizes power, wisdom, and superiority. Their presence reported to bring good fortune and chase away evil spirits.
Timings for the day are:
- 12 noon and 2pm: We’ll be joined by the Pak-Mei UK Lion Dance Troupe twice throughout the day when they’ll be performing the renowned and spectacular Lion Dance
- 1pm Kung Fu demonstration by Pak-Mei UK
- 11.30, 12.30, 1.30 A celebration of Chinese music and dance featuring Wan Ying on Erhu, Zhenyan Li on Zhi and Jasmine Lam dancing. (The Zhi is a traditional bamboo flute, and the Erhu is a stringed instrument.)
Throughout the day
- Reading Hongkongers CIC will be offering activities with the theme of Lunar New Year and games related to Hong Kong and British Culture
- Wokingham Baptist Church will be offering traditional crafts and activities relating to the New Year
- ‘morearts.’ will be making dragon puppets as 2024 is the year of the Dragon among other crafts.
Street food including both sweet and savoury offerings will be available to purchase from:
- Krua Koson – Thai Food
- Uncle E ltd – Hong Kong style cakes – Pineapple cake, Wife Cake, Cashew biscuits, Dim Sum
- Family Kitchen – Hong Kong cuisine
- Jeong Cook – Authentic Korean Food